Aug 21, 2018

Find a Hammock & Rest!

Walking through the woods on a sunny August afternoon, I met an empty hammock hanging on two trees. Do I dare get on the hammock? Why not? The allure of traveling is that you never know who or what you'll encounter. For two hours I rested on the hammock, with the lush trees above and beside me. A view of a sparkling lake just a few yards away and nobody in sight except for me and the hammock. Alas, two hours later a few people passed me by and I asked one of them to take a picture so that I could hold a vivid memory of those carefree and relaxing two hours on a hammock that was left alone in the woods for me to enjoy.

Travelling can be exhausting; so go ahead and rest on a hammock.

HAMMOCK HISTORY:


It began about 1,000 years ago in Central America by the Mayan Indians. They used their extraordinary skills and designed a hammock. Original hammocks were woven from the bark of the Hamak tree. The Indian nations of Central and South America had an extenstive trade route and word spread quickly about the new invention. As time progressed hammocks were made with better fabrics and materials, the styling changed too. When Columbus embarked on the Bahamas and saw natives lounging in hammocks during their siestas he decided to take some hammocks back to Europe and the appreciation for hammocks has never stopped.


Take time in your travels to enjoy a hammock. The world loves hammocking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Cancun, Mexico, A Sunny Destination

Today I've survived a major snowstorm that has dumped two feet of snow and brought icy road conditions, high winds, and frigid Arctic te...